How Much Hair Loss is Normal?

Photo by: Bigstockphoto
Photo by: Bigstockphoto

A lot of people experience hair loss and most of the time there’s a reason as to why hair loss occurs. Like animals, humans also shed off hair. There could also be a number of reasons why people lose hair; at times it could be due to genes or an underlying illness or condition. So if you want to know about hair loss, this article can help you with that.

Causes of hair loss

As I have mentioned, there are a number of reasons why hair loss occur. It could be because of an inherited condition which means it’s passed down from one or both of your parents. It could also be due to stress such as illnesses, high fever and stress from surgery. If you are undergoing chemotherapy, the medication used during this treatment can also cause the hair to fall. Pulling your hair back too tightly like wearing tight braids or pony tails can also cause hair fall. Hair dyes or the use of curling iron and dyes also contribute to hair loss.

Age is also a factor for hair loss. As you grow older, the hair becomes thinner and brittle making it more prone to breaks and fall out. A poor diet can also be another reason why you are losing hair. Iron and protein are essential nutrients which are important in preventing hair loss. So if your diet lacks these then most likely you will have more hair loss than the normal. Diseases of the thyroid glands like hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism are also contributors to hair loss. Ringworm found in the scalp can also cause your hair to fall off. If you had just given birth, hair loss is considered normal as the hormones in your body is adjusting all over again.

How much should you lose?

Normally, hair sheds about 50 to 100 hairs a day. Yes, this number is still normal so you don’t have to be alarmed. However, when your hair sheds more than the normal hair count everyday then this condition is known as telogen effluvium.

Understand that 90% of the hair in your head is in its growing phase. The remaining 10% of your hair is considered to be in its ‘resting’ phase. This 10% will eventually fall off so it can leave a new room for new hair to grow. If you are losing more than 15 strands of hair each time you pull or comb it, it is most likely because the 10% is on resting phase. However, if you feel like you have lost a lot of hair than the usual hair count estimated then it is best to see a doctor about this. There might be another cause for your hair loss than the ones mentioned above.

Taking care of your hair is easy; all you need to do is to eat healthier so you can provide your hair the nutrients it needs to grow strong. Consider going to the salon every now and then, give your hair some pampering so it stays healthy. If you can’t always find time to go to the salon, consider alternatives in hair care. Organic based products have also been proven to strengthen hair from roots to tips so you might as well give it a try.