Danger in the Garden – Common Plants That Could be Toxic to Your Pets

Photo by: Bigstockphoto
Photo by: Bigstockphoto

Flowers and luscious plants are great to see in your garden especially during spring time. It adds color and life to your home and surroundings. While this is true to many green thumbs out there, there are common garden plants that could be toxic to your pets! If you don’t know that yet then you should check your garden and see if you have these following plants.

Dumb Cane

This seemingly innocent plant can actually be pretty dangerous. This plant grows in low-light conditions and is common among household. However, if you have pets that like to chew on plants then this plant can be dangerous. The sap alone can cause the tongue to swell and burn which can eventually block the air to the throat. It is proven to be deadly to both humans and pets if ingested in large amounts.


These beautiful flowers are also called Narcissus and are usually one of the best plants indoors. However they have been proven toxic if the bulbs of this flower is ingested. Since the bulbs look like onions or shallots, they can easily be mistaken for food. When ingested, your pet might suffer from stomach problems, irregular heartbeat and high blood pressure. This can be fatal if not treated immediately.

English Ivy

This plant can often be seen on the sides of houses or buildings which make the structures even more aesthetic to look at. However if you have pets, these plants can be toxic. When ingested, these plants can cause diarrhea, hypersalivation, vomiting, and stomach pain. These plants are dangerous to cats, dogs and even horses. But if you are looking for green ivy to include in your garden, choose Grape Ivy instead.


This plant comes in different variations and species that you should watch out if you have pets at home. These plants are very toxic to dogs and may cause your beloved pet to have burns in the mouth, lips and tongue. They also exhibit excessive drooling, difficulty in swallowing and vomiting. So be care to plant these in your yard if you don’t want your pets to suffer the consequences.

Sago Palm

As one of the oldest living plants on earth, this type of palm has only survived because many animals didn’t eat it. All parts of this plant is said to be poisonous; even the seeds! If you pet ingests this plant, vomiting and diarrhea is exhibited. It can also lead to liver failure of not treated immediately.


This large plant is often seen in many gardens but if a dog eats a part of this plant, vomiting and diarrhea may occur. Worse, depression can also happen to you pets! So make sure that you find a substitute for this plant if you don’t want your pets to get sick.

As much as we love gardening, not all plants are safe for your little adventurers especially if they love hanging around flower beds and the likes. But in case you really want a garden, stick with your basic roses, lilies, daisies and the likes; this way you know for sure that no harm will come to your pets.