My Dog Ate Rat Poison, What to Do?

 Photo by: Bigstockphoto

Photo by: Bigstockphoto

Dogs are curious animals especially the puppies. You can often find them digging, chewing things and sniffing around places where their noses shouldn’t be! As dog owners, it is a big responsibility to know what and where our pets have been. It’s not all the time that they behave well and often times their curiosity can get them into trouble.

It is not surprising that dogs can sometimes mistake rat poison as dog treats. Although the name says it kills rats, it can also kill other animals especially when they have ingested a large amount of it. Dogs are among the many victims of this case. So in case you find that your dog has eaten rat poison, it is important to know the signs and symptoms as well as first aid that you can administer in case this happens.

Types of rat poison:

There are many types of rat poison out there. Depending on the active ingredient, some rat poison can take effect after a few minutes while others may take a few hours. Most of the time these poisons are sugar based which makes it tastier to rats and yes, your dogs. They also come in different shapes and color which can be mistaken by dogs as treats. However the size and color cannot tell you how poisonous it is so the best way that you can do is to read the label of the rat poison and see the main ingredients are that can be poisonous to your dog.

Anticoagulants

Are the most common types of rat poison ingested by your canines. This kills the rats by reducing their body’s ability to recycle Vitamin K. They will then have internal bleeding which will eventually kill them in the process. This will take over in two to seven days after ingesting the poison.

Bromethalin

Is a rat poison that increases the amount of sodium in the rat’s body. It is then followed by an influx of water to the cells. As a result, rats swell up and then die. If your dog consumed a lot of this poison, it can lead to its death too.

Cholecalciferol

When ingested caused calcium to increase. This will then lead to renal failure and cardiac problems. It has proven fatal when ingested in large amounts as there are no signs of poison for the first 12-36 hours.

Zinc Phosphide and Strychnine

Are the least used type of rat poison at home as they are usually used by professional rodent exterminators.

What to do in case your dog ate rat poison?

In case you have suspected that your dog ate rat poison, check for the kind of poison they ate in case this happened around your home. If you don’t know what kind of rat poison they ate, make sure to bring your pet to the vet as soon as signs and symptoms appear. Most of the time your dog may appear weak and not eating, vomiting and frothing around the mouth may also be an indicator that your dog has ingested something that isn’t right. If your dog exhibits these signs, make sure to have them check right away. Doing so can save your dog’s life and you from a heartbreak in the future.